Reflections 2020/05/06

An evening shower often begins with a conversation
between myself and my body
I turn on my the music;
a comforting melody
that sets the tone for this dialogue.

I caress my left arm with my right hand,
"Why can't I be thinner/lighter?"

My skin hears me and whispers,

"Though I may not be thin, I am full.
I hold the muscles that allows you to articulate and move.
Though I may not be light, I am dark.
Who told you that darkness was not as beautiful or as powerful as the light?
I come from generations of spirits that fought for their darkness
and fought for its freedom."

I look at and begin to weep
and a tear drop falls, rolling down the creases of fat on my tummy
Wiping the tear I say,

"Thank you for reminding me of my inherent
beauty.
I am sorry that I do not recognize how much you do for me.
I am sorry for the verbal abuse that both I and the world have spewed at you
I am sorry to not have been your protector
but,"

I cradle my bosom
wrapping my arms tightly around myself
"I am here now.
I am here."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blackness, identity and being undefinable.

Nothing, everything.

Notes on recovery and perserverance.